General Position Summary The Project Engineer assists and supports the Project Management Team and may interface with the field Superintendents and other field managers. We offer both local and travel positions. The Project Engineer works within the Project Management Team which is responsible to plan and oversee the project to insure a timely and cost effective outcome. This includes budgeting, organization, implementation and scheduling of the project. Ensure the project is constructed in a safe, ethical manner and in compliance with all federal, state, and local laws. The Project Management Team staff can vary greatly depending on the size and complexity of the projects, which in turn will affect the number of responsibilities the Project Engineer will be involved in.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the safety of all assigned employees and subcontractors to ensure the safe execution of all activities, including the strict adherence to company safety policiesand programs through the communication and enforcement of the Skanska Safety and Health Management Program
- Coordinate Means and Methods, Crane layouts, rigging and access plans including calculations
- Monitoring and support the selection process of subcontractors / venders including the negotiations, sub agreements, material agreements and issuing PO's within the limits of authority
- Management of subcontractors and venders schedule, performance, and payments
- Ensure compliance with project MWBE requirements and Skanska's DBE compliance program
- Support project meetings, including project team, owner and subcontractors meetings
- Understanding of the contract including Skanska's contractual obligations and the owners obligations
- Identify Project Risk and develop Mitigation Plans
- Assist in the development of notices as required to the owner to protect Skanska interests regarding extra work, design changes, delays, impacts, etc.
- Assist Management for project claims in collaboration with Project executive and Skanska's Legal Department
- Project submittals, process RFIs & shop drawings, as required by the Contract/Skanska Expectations
- Manage and/or coordinate onsite personnel, equipment and material resources
- Manage the project budget utilizing Skanska's Cost Control Systems
- Compile reports regarding financial, schedule and production reports for the Project Executive
- Prepare and coordinate payments from owner and ensure timely payments
- Support development and maintain the project schedule in sync with the project budget
- Develop and maintain site logistics plan with Superintendent staff
- Ensure the project delivers a quality product meeting Skanska's high quality standards
- Assist in the development of project estimates and Change Orders.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Duties and responsibilities may be added or changed as deemed appropriate by management at any time.
Skills & Abilities
- Strong engineering and problem-solving skills
- Strong written, communication, and math/accounting skills
- General understanding of industry and interest in learning more
- Functions effectively as part of a team
- Computer proficient and the ability to adapt to new innovations and processes
- Estimating skills a plus
- Demonstrates potential management and leadership skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality at all times
- Ready and willing to learn new skills to enhance career growth Education & Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Construction or Engineering preferred, but experience may be considered
- 2+ years of industry experience required
Work Environment/Job Conditions
This job is performed both in the office and in the field. Field work requires experience and confidence working in and around heavy industrial equipment, systems and conditions is required. Activities and responsibilities require frequent sitting (often working on a computer), frequent driving, flying, walking, standing, light lifting, bending, and reaching. Due to tool and computer usage, there may be repetitive motions of the hands and wrists.
Skanska is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion or creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or citizenship status, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected characteristics under federal, state, or local law.
Skanska uses knowledge & foresight to shape the way people live, work, and connect. More than 135 years in the making, we’re one of the world’s largest development and construction companies. We operate in select markets throughout the Nordics, Europe and the United States. Skanska in the U.S. is headquartered in New York City with 30 offices around the country. In 2021, construction in the U.S. generated $6.4 billion in revenue, and as a developer in the U.S., Skanska has invested a total of $3 billion in commercial and multi-family projects. Together with our customers and the collective expertise of our 7,300+ teammates in the U.S. and 30,000+ globally, we create innovative and sustainable solutions that support healthy living beyond our lifetime.
Search Firm and Employment Agency Disclaimer
Search Firm and Employment Agency Disclaimer Skanska USA Human Resources (“Skanska HR”) provides HR services to the Skanska business units within the U.S.A. including Skanska USA Civil Inc., Skanska USA Building Inc., Skanska USA Commercial Development Inc. and Skanska Infrastructure Development Inc. (collectively “Skanska USA”). As such, Skanska HR is the sole authorized representative of Skanska USA to execute any agreements with search firms, employment agencies or any employment vendor (“Vendor”). As a condition precedent to any entitlement for payment, a Vendor shall have both (1) Skanska USA Placement Agreement, and (2) an Engagement Job Order executed by an authorized Skanska HR representative. Absent the properly executed documents, Skanska HR shall have no obligation to make payment to the Vendor. Verbal or written communications from any employee of Skanska USA business units shall not be considered binding obligations. All resumes whether unsolicited or solicited shall be considered property of Skanska HR.